Thursday, August 21, 2008

I have a crush…

On Richard Dawkins

“Many of us saw religion as harmless nonsense. Beliefs might lack all supporting evidence but, we thought, if people needed a crutch for consolation, where's the harm? September 11th changed all that. Revealed faith is not harmless nonsense, it can be lethally dangerous nonsense. Dangerous because it gives people unshakeable confidence in their own righteousness. Dangerous because it gives them false courage to kill themselves, which automatically removes normal barriers to killing others. Dangerous because it teaches enmity to others labeled only by a difference of inherited tradition. And dangerous because we have all bought into a weird respect, which uniquely protects religion from normal criticism. Let's now stop being so damned respectful!" R.D. -Septemeber 2001

I picked up The God Delusion the other day at B&N and I always knew I like Richard Dawkins, but now I am in love.

5 Reasons you should love him too:

1. is a really smart guy

2. is an atheist

3. has his PHD from Oxford which gives him tons of creed, I have to admit I am turned on by intellectual prowess. Plus, he is a professor there too, who doesn't want to do an Oxford professor (your are only lying to yourself if you say you don't)

4. has a bloody cute British accent

5. believes Atheists can be happy, balanced, moral, and intellectually fulfilled and they should be proud, not apologetic, because atheism is evidence of a healthy, independent mind

Sorry Teri Garr, but I think I found a new bedroom poster. I will always love you but…it’s time.


"...isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" -Douglass Adams from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

No comments: